Michigan Small Business Development Center to Host Expanded ‘How to Buy or Sell a Business’ Conference at Grand Valley State University
Grand Rapids, MI – The Michigan Small Business Development Center (SBDC) has assembled a team of experts to discuss some of the many aspects of purchasing or selling a business. The half-day conference will take place on June 27, 2018 from 8:00 AM to 2:30 PM, at the Seidman College of Business.
As many “Boomer” business owners look to retire, there is an influx of Millennials, Gen X, as well as encore career retirees interested in entering the entrepreneurial space. To help entrepreneurs navigate this transition, a team of business growth consultants from the Michigan SBDC has worked to develop a brand new “How to Buy or Sell a Business Conference.”
“Over the past year the Michigan SBDC has worked to develop a totally new conference that goes way beyond the traditional advice on how to have a successful transaction,” commented Brooks Kindel, Business Growth Consultant at the Michigan SBDC.
“Regardless of which side of the transaction you are on, you will learn how to create a transition plan, how to build and utilize an advisory team, and how to assess and address the human capital that will determine if there will be a successful transition.”
Together, business buyers and sellers will learn:
- First steps in determining whether to buy or sell a business
- How to maximize the value of your business
- How to market your business and how to find a business for sale
- How to form a Transition Team of experts to help you buy or sell a business
- How to create a Transition Plan to keep you on track for success
- The basics of valuation, due diligence, brokers, and financing
- Implications for tax, retirement, and estate planning
- Keys to successfully transitioning a business to new ownership
- Post-acquisition planning, change management, and company culture
Dan Brophy, MBA, Business Growth Consultant
Mike Gay, MBA, CFA, CSBC, Business Growth Consultant
Brooks Kindel, MBA, CSBC, Business Growth Consultant
Kristi Kozubal, JD, Michigan SBDC Regional Director
Kathy Miller, MBA, PHR, CPLP, CSBC, Business Growth Consultant
Jose Navarrete, BSE, MBA, CSBC, Lean Six Sigma, Business Growth Consultant
Julie Oldham, CPA, CGMA, Business Growth Consultant
Industry experts will participate in a panel discussion, sharing their perspectives and expertise in buying or selling a business. Panelists include:
- Ben VanDerWeide, Huntington Bank
- Jon Siebers, Rhoades McKee
- Max Friar, River City Partners
- David Rasch, Harvest Wealth Advisors
- James Wiese, recently purchased a business
- Craig Hecker, recently sold a business
The How to Buy or Sell a Business Conference is generously sponsored by Huntington Bank.
The registration fee of $75 includes access to the full conference, a hot breakfast and lunch. You can reserve your spot at https://clients.sbdcmichigan.org/workshop.aspx?ekey=70370007 or call the West Michigan Region Small Business Development Center at (616) 331-7370.
About the Michigan SBDC
The Michigan Small Business Development Center provides consulting, business education, secondary market research and technology commercialization services to Michigan’s new business ventures, existing small businesses, growing businesses and innovators. The Michigan SBDC State Lead Center is located at the Grand Valley State University, Seidman College of Business in Grand Rapids, Michigan.
Entrepreneurs and small business owners may access the services of their nearest Michigan SBDC by visiting www.SBDCMichigan.org.